A bacterial infection causes tooth abscess, which is a pocket of pus. There are different types of abscess, which occur in different regions of the tooth. The tip of the root is where a periapical abscess occurs. The gums at the side of the root of a tooth are where a periodontal abscess occurs. A teeth specialist doctor normally drains a tooth abscess to help the patient get rid of the infection. The lack of proper treatment may lead to life-threatening complications.
The following are a few symptoms of a tooth abscess:
- Persistent, severe and throbbing toothache
- Sensitivity while chewing or biting
- Sensitivity to cold and hot temperatures
- Swelling in your face or cheek
- Swollen and tender lymph nodes under your jaw or in your neck
- Difficulty in swallowing and breathing
- Foul taste in your mouth
Infection of the tooth pulp is responsible for this condition. The following are the causes of infection:
- A cracked tooth
- Gum disease
- Tooth decay
Risk factors as told by a Teeth Specialist Doctor
Your risk of tooth abscess may increase due to the following factors:
- Poor dental hygiene: Tooth abscess may develop if you don’t take proper care of your teeth and gums.
- A diet high in sugar: Foods having excess sugar can cause dental cavities and ultimately lead to a tooth abscess.
- Dry mouth: Your risk of tooth decay, a major cause of tooth abscess, increases if you have a dry mouth. This condition is often due to ageing issues or the side effect of certain medications.
The best dental doctor in Kolkata will properly check your tooth and the surrounding area. He/she may also:
- Tap on your teeth: Your tooth will normally be sensitive to touch or pressure if it has an abscess at its root.
- Suggest an X-ray: The dentist can identify an abscess from an X-ray of an aching tooth. X-rays will also help in understanding whether the infection has spread or not.
- Suggest a CT scan: The dental specialist can know the extent of the infection from a CT scan if the infection has spread to other areas.
Treatment by A Teeth Specialist Doctor
The treatment options include:
- Draining the abscess: The dentist will allow the pus to drain out by cutting open the abscess. He/she will wash the area with salt water after that.
- Performing a root canal: Eliminating the infection and saving your tooth is possible by this procedure. The best dentist in Kolkata will remove the infected central tissue (pulp) after drilling down into your tooth and then drains the abscess. Then the tooth’s pulp chamber and the root canals will be filled and sealed. Finally, the dentist may fix a crown over the teeth to make it stronger.
- Extracting the tooth: Your dentist may have to extract the tooth and drain the abscess in some cases.
Prescribing antibiotics: You may have to take antibiotics if the infection has spread to other areas or if your immune system is weak.